Blogs > Two Plus Two Makes For...

This blog is about parenting: the glamor, the cuisine, and everything in between.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Happy birthday two you

So my kids turned three.
They talk, a lot, all day in fact. They sing, they pretend, they have pretend friends and make believe worlds they tell me about. Three years, and I am just barely catching up. I still have projects I assumed I'd do while home with them, in all of my spare time, sitting, untouched.
With the combination of Easter and the birthday extravaganzy this has felt much like December, and I am looking forward to a stretch of holiday free time.

Last year, for their big 2, we invited everyone we knew, and it was fun but a little overwhelming for the actual birthday boy and girl. So this year the guest list was scaled back but the planning stepped up. We had a pirate party, complete with an outdoor treasure hunt, scrolls with little dittys telling them where to go next. My DH dressed up in a puffy shirt and acted out the pirate adventure for 6 squealing two to four year olds.

I made the cake myself - half vanilla half chocolate - decorated as an ocean scene with a pirate ship, sails reading 'Happy Birthday!' An icing dolphin and mermaid swam in the FDC blue number 4 sea. We all had our plain pizza, and then blew up a moonbounce so that the sugar could be more effiently burned off, and amazingly no one threw up in it. It was as good as a three year old birthday could be, I think, and it was exhausting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home